Basic Compliance Guidelines:
- Your sales page, copy and product must adhere to FTC rules.
- Make sure your sales copy matches your product content. For example, if your sales copy claims that your product teaches how to profit with CPA offers, but the info inside is more geared towards affiliate offers -- that is a problem.
- Only use real proof. This should seem obvious and yes, the opposite does happen in this industry. It's very hard to police on a mass scale, but please report it to us if you see it happening and of course, don't participate in using fake proof of any kind -- if you're caught, the consequences aren't worth it.
- Be original, unique and fresh. Sure, there are a limited number of topics to cover; but simply putting your name on a PLR report isn't helping anyone (especially your reputation long-term).
- Provide quality to the marketplace. Products of poor quality might make money in the short-term, but they end up with tons of refund requests, unhappy buyers & affiliates and then you end up on our list of people to keep a close eye on (or take action against).
- Make sure your support URL/email is working. When your buyers cannot reach you, they contact us, and then we contact you. If we cannot reach you -- you could end up being suspended or banned.
- Make sure your product delivery process is smooth. Nothing is worse than getting a bunch of refund requests all because your buyers couldn't access their product after purchase.
- Exit pops are great, but it is not acceptable to use exit pops that 'take the sale away' from affiliate(s) in any way.
- Direct, unrealistic or 'gimmicky' income claims give this market a bad name. We know a lot of you can stand behind your claims and that's great... Just be sure to use them appropriately (i.e. it's better to tell a story about how YOU achieved specific results instead of claiming that your readers will definitely achieve the same results. Be clear that results are not typical).
- You Must Have a Clear Earnings Disclaimer. There is some great info about earnings disclaimers HERE (not associated with W+).
- Honesty is the best policy. "Hype" will only get you so far and people can smell a "gimmicky" offer from miles away nowadays. Go with a more straightforward approach and you'll see positive results.
- Testimonials should be about the product you are selling. If you have any testimonials that are about you 'in general' -- it's important to be very clear about that above or below the testimonial and separate those from the ones that are about the product being sold.
- Disclose when a testimonial is from an 'affiliate' or from someone who was given a free review copy of the product.
- Provide an earnings disclaimer for any income/results claims found within the sales copy of your offer.
- You MUST abide by the Terms of Service (ToS) of the Merchant Account providers. PayPal Terms can be found HERE. Stripe Terms can be found HERE.
Link to FTC guidelines regarding endorsements & testimonials: https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/attachments/press-releases/ftc-publishes-final-guides-governing-endorsements-testimonials/091005revisedendorsementguides.pdf
Strictly Prohibited Items:
- Fake scarcity/timers
- Fake ‘discount’ pricing (Must actually be for sale at ‘regular price’ somewhere)
- Income Claims (Especially outrageous/dishonest)
- Results Claims (Claiming buyers will achieve specific results without the proper disclaimers)
- Anything that looks too much like a “Get rich quick” scheme
- Offers or Copy that appears to be related to MLM in any way
- Not effectively handling support requests and refunds
- “Lifetime” guarantees, “Lifetime” access, “lifetime” refund policy, etc.
- Selling information or software that encourages or enables the breaking of laws or terms of other companies/website
- Breaking TOS or AUP of Merchant Account providers (PayPal, Stripe, Etc)
- Degrading customers, both to them directly and/or in public posts to other vendors, etc.
- "Shady" return policies (Refund front end, but not the OTOs without clear terms, etc.)
- Copying products or sales copy without permission from the owner
- Any 'Black Hat' activities
- Manipulating offer stats on purpose for any reason
Best Practices Copy Checklist:
- Headline - Does the Headline Have Any ‘Income/Results Claims’ that Need to be Addressed or Reworded?
- Testimonials - Are Any Testimonials from Affiliates/JVs? If Yes, Are they Disclosed Underneath the Video or Somewhere on the Page? Also Disclose if Any Testimonials Are for Different Products.
- Countdown Timers - No ‘Fake’ Scarcity!
- Earnings Disclaimer - You Must Have a Clear Earnings Disclaimer. There is some great info about earnings disclaimers HERE (not associated with W+).
- Lifetime Guarantee/Support/Access - This is Prohibited. Change the Language if You Currently Have “Lifetime” in Your Copy.
- Product Ownership - If You Are the Product Owner/Creator, or if You Have a License to Sell the Product, Make Sure to Select the Proper One in Product Setup.
- Support Channel - Be Sure to Have a Proper Support Channel Setup.
NOTE: Following the above checklist does NOT guarantee approval or protection from merchant account issues. However, we strongly advise following it as closely as possible in order to ensure quicker & easier offer approval. The checklist will be modified and added to over time.